The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh pay tribute to the 22 people killed in the Manchester bomb attack
The Queen has, this afternoon, led thousands of people in a minute's silence to remember those killed in the Manchester bomb attack. The silent tribute took place at the Buckingham Palace Garden Party. Joined by the Duke of Edinburgh, the Prince of Wales, the Duchess of Cornwall and Princess Eugenie of York, the Queen bowed her head to remember the 22 people killed on May 22nd 2017 by a bomber as they enjoyed an Ariana Grande concert at the Manchester Arena.
Royal tributes have come in through the day in messages of condolence and solidarity. The Queen issued a statement just hours after the attack in which she said ''the whole nation had been shocked by the death and injury of so many people, adults and children, who had just been enjoying a concert''. The Queen paid tribute to the emergency services, who had responded within moments of the attack and to others who helped those affected by the attack. The Queen said ''I would like to express my admiration for the way the people of Manchester have responded with humanity and compassion to this act of barbarity''. It was signed, as always, Elizabeth R.
The Prince of Wales issued a statement on behalf of himself and the Duchess of Cornwall. He said they were ''profoundly shocked to learn of the truly dreadful event'' and added ''that such a large number of people, including so many young concert-goers, lost their lives or have suffered so much in this appalling atrocity is deeply distressing and fills us with intense sadness''.
A message from The Duke of Cambridge following last night's attack in Manchester. pic.twitter.com/g8EWtuC2A8— Kensington Palace (@KensingtonRoyal) May 23, 2017
The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Prince Harry's statement came out in the afternoon. It was issued for all of them by Prince William who said they had been shocked and saddened by the attack. William also said ''we also send our thanks to the people of Manchester for their display of strength, decency and community that is an example to the world.'' The Countess of Wessex took part in a moment of silence remembrance on her visit today to the London Stock Exchange.
Los Reyes guardan en Barcelona un minuto de silencio por el atentado de #Manchester https://t.co/0PIuhdLvHl pic.twitter.com/QGaGv7F1nS— Casa de S.M. el Rey (@CasaReal) May 23, 2017
The King and Queen of Spain also observed a minute's silence for the victims of the Manchester attack as they attended an engagement in Barcelona. Within hours of the attack, the Casa Real Twitter account put out a statement saying that the rule of law would never surrender to terrorism, adding Spain stood firm with Manchester and the United Kingdom.
La Belgique témoigne sa solidarité avec le Royaume-Uni et rend hommage aux victimes de l'attentat de #Manchester pic.twitter.com/31r2sqnTaW— Belgian Royal Palace (@MonarchieBe) May 23, 2017
Hans Majestet Kongen har sendt følgende kondolansebudskap til Dronning Elizabeth II: I was deeply saddened by the tragic news of the terror attack in Manchester, resulting in the loss of so many lives and inflicting such dreadful injuries. I extend my condolences and ask you to convey the deepest sympathy of the Norwegian people to the bereaved families and to those who are injured. Harald R
Det är med sorg som Drottningen och jag tagit emot beskedet om det avskyvärda dådet i Manchester, Storbritannien. Detta dåd är ytterligare ett attentat mot det öppna och toleranta samhälle som vi alla vill leva i. Det är viktigt att vi står enade tillsammans mot denna ofattbara ondska. Mina och Kungafamiljens tankar går till offren, deras familjer och till hela det brittiska folket. #kungahuset