Thursday, 14 July 2016

The Queen pops in on William

The Queen with her grandson, the Duke of Cambridge, as she opened the new base of his employers, the East Anglian Air Ambulance
(photo The Royal Family Twitter)

You know what it's like when you're just on shift, starting another day at work and then your granny turns up. The Duke of Cambridge got to welcome a very important visitor to his office yesterday as the Queen arrived to open the new East Anglian Air Ambulance base in Cambridge.

The Duke of Cambridge took up his role with the organisation in 2015. He's employed as an air ambulance pilot with his salary going to charity. When he took up the position he said he would work his royal commitments around it but that was made a little bit easier for him yesterday as the engagement came to him.

The Queen was at the new Cambridge base, which will provide support for the 40 medics and 8 pilots, to officially open it. During her time there she met many of the medics and staff working for the organisation and one face looked particularly familiar.

There was no mistaking the delight of the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh at seeing their second grandson at work. William gave them a tour of the base and showed them one of the H145 helicopters in use.

The team had been in the air just hours before the arrival of the royal visitors with Prince William among crew called out to Norfolk ahead of the official opening in Cambridge.

He made it back in time to see his granny - she was on a bit of a tight schedule yesterday after all with a certain changeover of Prime Minister taking place that afternoon - who went on to unveil a plaque to officially open the base at Cambridge Airport.

She also some of those helped by the organisation including Boffie Brown who was treated by the Air Ambulance team in 2014 when she was seriously injured in a road accident. She has since returned to equestrianism.

Then it was time for the Queen to head back to London to welcome her 13th Prime Minister. And William's surreal day at work, when granny popped in to unveil a plaque, went back to normal again.

No comments:

Post a Comment